There are some areas exempt from the permit system, called "special designated areas", where there are no restrictions on the value or the quantity of properties a foreigner can buy, including non-EU citizens.
In these areas, permanent residents can purchase property with the same property rights as Maltese citizens and thereby enjoy the great capital growth as well as rental yields that these prime areas offer. It is important to note that properties falling within “Special Designated Areas” are exempt from the restrictions set out in the AIP Act. These areas represent recently constructed developments intended to provide top-end residential properties. It is therefore possible for any non-EU citizen or EU citizen to acquire multiple properties within such Special Designated Areas. Such properties are also exempt from any restriction on acquisition through inheritance and there are also several other special exemptions.
The Special Designated Areas currently include the following.
- Fort Chambray, Ghajnsielem,Gozo
- Kempinski Residences, San Lawrenz, Gozo
- Portomaso Development, St. Julians, Malta
- Portomaso Extension I, St Julians, Malta
- Cottonera Development, Cottonera, Malta
- Tigne Point, Tigne, Malta
- Tas-Sellum Residence, Mellieha, Malta
- Madliena Village Complex, Malta
- SmartCity, Malta
- Fort Cambridge Zone,
- Tignè, Malta
- Ta’ Monita Residence,
- Marsascala, Malta
- Pender Place, St. Julians,
- Malta Metropolis Plaza, Gzira,Malta
Most of these developments offer a wide range of facilities and amenities including bars, restaurants, spas and marinas.