Year of Construction: 1800
Furnished: Optional Furnished
This lovely old semi-detached farmhouse is tucked away down a delightful peaceful alley. Entrance is into a typical courtyard with arched elevations, and a traditional well. Off this courtyard are an internal and external staircase leading to two separate wings.
At ground floor level doors lead to a kitchen-dining room. a spacious double length living room, and a secret courtyard garden where one can enjoy the morning sun, or the shade in the afternoon. Another door off the main courtyard leads down to a cellar room, perfect to use as a cool summer bedroom, or indeed a wine cellar. There is also a shower room, with toilet, off the courtyard.
The living room itself is very large with high ceilings, and is divided into two distinct sections, with plenty of room for a large dining room on one side. Plenty of light streams through the many windows. The living room leads outdoors to a spacious bedroom, previously used as a garden studio by the owner, just a few feet away from the door leading to the garden, and on to an expansive mature garden.
Meander down the lovely mature garden, including pittosporum, frangipani, oleanders, geraniums, other succulents, yukka, cyprus, palm trees, aleppo pines, and a magnificent dragon tree, through distinct, and mostly shaded, sitting areas to the end of the garden where there are fabulous country views towards the lighthouse, and the distant sea. One can sit here in the early evening with a sundowner, listening to the sound of the birds, as the sun sets.
Back to the central courtyard, and there are two staircases. One external staircase leads up to a covered arched walkway, off which there are three bedrooms, all with their original rustic farmhouse doors.
The main bedroom has lovely original traditional Maltese patterned cement tiles, and also the original wall painting pattern which has been retained and preserved by the current owner. This large bedroom leads onto a private first floor terrace with views to the garden and lighthouse.
The middle bedroom is also extremely spacious and is used as an art and sculpture studio. Adjacent to the third bedroom, finished with an old pattern etched floor, is another cloakroom. With a little bit of thought two ensuites can easily be added at this level, and the cloakroom turned into a walk-in shower room.
Back down the stairs and up the other internal staircase there is a large bathroom. The staircase leads on to a delightful light filled landing with seating. This leads onto a double bedroom with lovely hand painted patterned walls, lending a faded elegance to the room.
Altogether this property still retains all its original charm and features, and would make a lovely full time or holiday home. The location is very peaceful and well away from the main road, yet not too far to the local supermarket in Ghasri, and the restaurants just a kilometer away in the neighboring village of Gharb.
The village is dominated by Ta’ Gurdan (the Gordan) lighthouse which stand at the top of Ġurdan Hill above the village. The famous lighthouse rises 180 metres above sea level and was inaugurated in 1853. Its beam could be seen up to 50 kilometres away. From the hill around the lighthouse there are marvellous 360 degree views of Gozo – well worth the walk up.
From Għasri Village Square, a road leads to the fabulous valley of Wied il-Għasri. On the way, there are a number of typical farmhouses, most of them available for short or long lets, as well as a charming old chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Wied l-Għasri area is marvellous for country walks and cycling, especially in Winter and Spring. The valley opens onto the sea between high cliffs, and the secluded little inlet here is ideal for swimming, snorkelling and diving.
The village church, designed by a local priest, Dun Guzepp Diacono, was built early in the twentieth century (1903-16) and is dedicated to Christ the Saviour. The village was established as an independent parish in 1921.