Furnished: Optional Furnished
CURRENTLY UNDER OFFER: This lovely old traditional farmhouse is accessed via a front courtyard abundant with colourful plants, including bougainvillea, geraniums, calla lilies, an orange tree and also a grape vine.
There is a traditional well, with an original stone wellhead, and plenty of space to park a car..
On entering the farmhouse there is an internal stone staircase leading upstairs. Straight ahead is the cosy cottage-like dining room and kitchen, with traditional arches, xorok (stone slab ceiling), exposed stone walls, and a stone slab floor. A window overlooks, and a door provides access to a second larger and totally private central courtyard. To one side there is a small arched snug area as well as a guest toilet.
Another doorway leads to a very spacious living room, also with traditional arches and mangers, clearly the oldest part of the house with its’ hand cut stone walls. Windows and a door open to the courtyard, providing a nice flow on the ground floor.
The private courtyard is full of plants and offers a great entertainment space. There is also a covered arched section if one wants respite from the sun or the rain.
Inside, the internal staircase leads to a large double ensuite bedroom, accessed via a traditional archway with windows overlooking the courtyard, and a large balcony overlooking the front yard.
A few steps lead up to another large bedroom, with an ensuite bathroom, and a larger balcony overlooking the main courtyard.
On the next floor there is a third, also very large double bedroom with an ensuite and a balcony overlooking the front courtyard. At this level there is a large roof terrace with views over the village towards Victoria, Xewkija and beyond. On the roof there are 10 Photovoltaic panels generating electricity which is sold back to the National grid, thereby keeping running costs down.
This is a delightful and cosy house with spacious rooms, and a large courtyard with space for a small pool, if required. The cliffs of Ta Cenc and the 5 star hotel with spa facilities are a short walk away from the property.
Ta’ Sannat lies in the south of the island of Gozo. The name is probably derived from that of an Arabic-Greek family that moved to Gozo from Sicily. Ta’ Sannat is best known for the Ta’ Ċenċ plateau on the edge of the village and its spectacular Ta’ Ċenċ cliffs, the highest cliffs in Gozo.
The plateau is typical Maltese garigue rich in flora and fuana. It is also the site of a number of prehistoric remains, including sparse remnants of L-Imramma Temple and three dolmens (made up of, a roughly shaped horizontal limestone slab supported on three sides by blocks of stone standing on end).
The plateau overlooks the Hanżira valley, a natural gorge with steep rocky sides separating Ta’ Sannat from the village of ix-Xewkija, of which there are excellent views. The valley, due to its steep rocky sides, has little sign of human interference and leads down to Mġarr ix-Xini Bay – a delightful spot for swimming and diving.
Ta’ Sannat was one of the first villages in Gozo to become an independent parish in 1688. The present church, dedicated to St. Margaret the Martyr, was built on the site of an earlier church in 1718 and consecrated in 1755 and again, after the significant structural changes, in 1868. The church has a fine altarpiece by Stefano Erardi.
The village festa is celebrated each year around the third week of July.